I just had to close a pop-up ad from the federal government trying to sell me special 250th anniversary coins. Are you people serious? You’re selling ad space to this federal government? That’s the last straw, I’m never clicking on this website ever again.
It took me about 6.5 minutes to read this article. During that time I had to close a total of 20 different pop-up ads. I am so close to never clicking on this website again.
also the piece bugged me because some of these new “innovations” were present in the HD-2D DQ 3, which was two remakes ago. And why are you looking forward to this more than you did the Erdrick trilogy? That little shady quip could have used some context.
I really don't get it. Is this about the diagonal pogo? You know the other crests have a different pogo right? But just spend half an hour with it and it becomes second nature (though I had to play with an 8bitdo controller instead of the pro controller for a better dpad, so maybe that's a decent counterargument). In any case, I didn't think this game was any harder than Eldin Ring, which won GOTY right? It certainly was not as hard as Bloodborne or Sekiro, and maybe the latter was too hard for GOTY but the former won that award from several sites including Eurogamer, Destruction, Edge etc.
This makes me more and more frustrated as I write this. Maybe I'm just particularly good at 2D action platformers, but nothing in Silksong came close to being as difficult as The Shadows of Yharnam or Father Gascoigne.
Here’s a tip for professional writers (fwiw I am also a professional writer): Don’t ever write the phrase “there is no middle ground” or “everyone either loves it or hates it” because it will NEVER be true. Every single time I read that sentence - every single time - my own opinion falls somewhere in the gulf between the two binary choices the writer has laid out. The same is true here - I thought FFXII’s gambit system was great, but it was certainly not my favorite FF combat system and I’m totally fine that they never revisited it.
Bring Back Nuance! Please for the love of whatever
Silksong was always going to pull ahead of Hades 2. Mostly because it's been way more time since Hollow Knight vs Hades, so Silksong feels like a fresher, less familiar experience. But also because I've seen lots of critiques of Hades 2's story, which say it's less tight and compelling than Hades. The only criticism people can find for Silksong is that it's too hard, which is 1) not true, and 2) not a real criticism, because that's exactly what the developers set out to do. You can dislike the game because it's too hard for you, but it's not valid to criticize the game for that reason, that's just the developer's design.
I gotta go back to Expedition 33, but it didn't totally grab me in the first hour so Silksong is easily the GoTY for me rn.
I know nothing about the performance on PS5 Pro but I did play 100 hours of the base game on og PS4 and it was great. Definitely ran smoother when I switched to PS5. Maybe it wasn’t perfectly smooth fps but it sure felt damn close. So no, I don’t think it’ll be a stretch, cause it worked well enough on PS4 to keep me engaged and delighted for 100 hours.
Why is there no mention of whether or not there are Switch 2 upgrades? Another website said there will be none - is that true? As the only other commenter rn said, that's what we all want.
This article is an awful example of games journalism, which should be one of the easiest types of journalism.
Interesting piece. For decades I've lamented that I would have been way better off socially if I had been ten years younger, as a young-ish millennial rather than an elder one, being a teen when nerd culture and video games had become mainstream already. And I have spent some minutes contemplating how and why nerds transitioned to hipsters and started controlling pop culture in the mid-2000s. I'm not sure Kevin Smith had anything to do with that, but he certainly did anticipate it. And who knows, maybe he was a proximate cause.
In any case, I enjoyed reading about Mallrats, as it is, IMCO, the best Kevin Smith movie (maybe outside of Dogma, which I've really only seen once). Clerks and especially Chasing Amy are overrated (Clerks was innovative and interesting, but I don't think it's particularly funny). But I was totally thinking just this morning about rewatching Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, which was a favorite of mine in my heavy stoner college days. I really wonder how that movie holds up.
Hmmm this actually sounds like fun. I live about a 20-minute walk from Grand Army Plaza, I wouldn't mind playing some Call of Duty around my own neighborhoods (yes I know this is Battlefield, but I've never played that franchise and I've played many CoD games, so without the context of past games the imagined experience is just more CoD).
Part of the reason the motion controls have aged poorly (particularly the pointing bits) is because the Joy-Cons are simply not as precise as the Wii Motion+ remote was. I adored the motion controls in Galaxy and Galaxy 2, I thought they made the game more immersive and more interesting, and I suspect I would still feel that way playing on a Wii with a Wiimote. But having played some of Galaxy again on 3D All-Stars, yes, they don't work as well on Switch.
My Wii U is still connected to a tv in mg bedroom, mostly for Wii Fit U or to play Wii games (ie Super Paper Mario and it’s super-underrated story), and if I ever go back to Star Fox Zero.
But if I wanted to play SMM, I’d def play SMM2 on Switch whether or not the online service was still active, so your general point stands.
What are you whining about? Are you upset because he didn't describe what was different between Early Access and 1.0? Because he absolutely did do that. The second and third paragraphs are all about that. Who cares if he didn't describe what changed between the very last day of Early Access and the first day of 1.0? That seems a ridiculous thing to carp about, very petty, with desperation to be upset about something.
If you're upset that the tone of the piece is different from the review that was posted the day before this piece, THAT'S BECAUSE THE AUTHORS ARE DIFFERENT.
I can't think of any other possible point you could be trying to make, but these two are both pretty dumb.
Not only that, but shaking the martini rather than stirring it waters it down by crushing the ice more, so he actually drinks a weak non-original martini.
I should really go back to this game. I played the hell out of the original HW, and was def enjoying this story more. I wonder how much better it runs on Switch 2…
In 1998 (I think), Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine called Super Metroid the greatest video game ever made. You should play it.
You’re correct that the genre is not for everyone, like every genre of everything. With this comment, you are simply being a contrarian. Which is fine I guess. But if you do try Silksong, try to not go into it assuming you won’t like it, cause those thoughts will likely be self-fulfilling.
AtomicWrangler I agre with OP but your point is misguided. The reason those games would benefit from a more open release schedule and a less distracted press is because we’ve never heard of them. And if the press didn’t have to dedicate so much time and column space to covering Silksong, maybe we would learn a lot more about these games and maybe you would end up clamoring for them.
The basic premise of this review is deceptively deep. I never got the meta-nature of how Kirby’s games absolutely transform from one to the next moreso than Nintendo’s other flagship franchises, much like their star itself. But I knew it to be true instinctively, as I believe very strongly that Kirby Canvas Curse is the NDS’s absolute best game, and Mass Attack is easily in the top 10 for that console. The 3DS one with the robots is fantastic too, and I loved Forgotten Land. I enjoyed all of those games more than any of the straightforward 2D Kirby games. Anyway, thanks for this review and the new bit of insight.
My Posts(78)
The new James Bond is 26, unpolished, and ‘looking for purpose’ as 007 — and he had to be
I just had to close a pop-up ad from the federal government trying to sell me special 250th anniversary coins. Are you people serious? You’re selling ad space to this federal government? That’s the last straw, I’m never clicking on this website ever again.
Dragon Quest 7 Reimagined aims to fix the original’s notorious bloat
It took me about 6.5 minutes to read this article. During that time I had to close a total of 20 different pop-up ads. I am so close to never clicking on this website again.
also the piece bugged me because some of these new “innovations” were present in the HD-2D DQ 3, which was two remakes ago. And why are you looking forward to this more than you did the Erdrick trilogy? That little shady quip could have used some context.
WATCH: Is Silksong too difficult to be Game of the Year?
I really don't get it. Is this about the diagonal pogo? You know the other crests have a different pogo right? But just spend half an hour with it and it becomes second nature (though I had to play with an 8bitdo controller instead of the pro controller for a better dpad, so maybe that's a decent counterargument). In any case, I didn't think this game was any harder than Eldin Ring, which won GOTY right? It certainly was not as hard as Bloodborne or Sekiro, and maybe the latter was too hard for GOTY but the former won that award from several sites including Eurogamer, Destruction, Edge etc.
This makes me more and more frustrated as I write this. Maybe I'm just particularly good at 2D action platformers, but nothing in Silksong came close to being as difficult as The Shadows of Yharnam or Father Gascoigne.
The messy truth about Final Fantasy 16 and the PS5
Here’s a tip for professional writers (fwiw I am also a professional writer): Don’t ever write the phrase “there is no middle ground” or “everyone either loves it or hates it” because it will NEVER be true. Every single time I read that sentence - every single time - my own opinion falls somewhere in the gulf between the two binary choices the writer has laid out. The same is true here - I thought FFXII’s gambit system was great, but it was certainly not my favorite FF combat system and I’m totally fine that they never revisited it.
Bring Back Nuance! Please for the love of whatever
Let's name the greatest game of the console generation: round 1
I totally agree. AND it also feels weird to use that headline when there is no Nintendo game included.
Game of the Year: Which of the 2025 Game Awards nominees will win?
Silksong was always going to pull ahead of Hades 2. Mostly because it's been way more time since Hollow Knight vs Hades, so Silksong feels like a fresher, less familiar experience. But also because I've seen lots of critiques of Hades 2's story, which say it's less tight and compelling than Hades. The only criticism people can find for Silksong is that it's too hard, which is 1) not true, and 2) not a real criticism, because that's exactly what the developers set out to do. You can dislike the game because it's too hard for you, but it's not valid to criticize the game for that reason, that's just the developer's design.
I gotta go back to Expedition 33, but it didn't totally grab me in the first hour so Silksong is easily the GoTY for me rn.
Elden Ring for Nintendo Switch 2 just got hit with a delay
I know nothing about the performance on PS5 Pro but I did play 100 hours of the base game on og PS4 and it was great. Definitely ran smoother when I switched to PS5. Maybe it wasn’t perfectly smooth fps but it sure felt damn close. So no, I don’t think it’ll be a stretch, cause it worked well enough on PS4 to keep me engaged and delighted for 100 hours.
Pikmin 4 free update adds photo mode and more next month
Why is there no mention of whether or not there are Switch 2 upgrades? Another website said there will be none - is that true? As the only other commenter rn said, that's what we all want.
This article is an awful example of games journalism, which should be one of the easiest types of journalism.
30 years ago, Kevin Smith was right about almost everything
Interesting piece. For decades I've lamented that I would have been way better off socially if I had been ten years younger, as a young-ish millennial rather than an elder one, being a teen when nerd culture and video games had become mainstream already. And I have spent some minutes contemplating how and why nerds transitioned to hipsters and started controlling pop culture in the mid-2000s. I'm not sure Kevin Smith had anything to do with that, but he certainly did anticipate it. And who knows, maybe he was a proximate cause.
In any case, I enjoyed reading about Mallrats, as it is, IMCO, the best Kevin Smith movie (maybe outside of Dogma, which I've really only seen once). Clerks and especially Chasing Amy are overrated (Clerks was innovative and interesting, but I don't think it's particularly funny). But I was totally thinking just this morning about rewatching Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, which was a favorite of mine in my heavy stoner college days. I really wonder how that movie holds up.
Battlefield 6's Brooklyn mission is almost too ridiculous to believe
Hmmm this actually sounds like fun. I live about a 20-minute walk from Grand Army Plaza, I wouldn't mind playing some Call of Duty around my own neighborhoods (yes I know this is Battlefield, but I've never played that franchise and I've played many CoD games, so without the context of past games the imagined experience is just more CoD).
Battlefield 6's Brooklyn mission is almost too ridiculous to believe
Um American developers are not the only people who make ultra-violent video games, nor are Americans the only consumers who buy them.
Super Mario Galaxy lives up to the hype
Part of the reason the motion controls have aged poorly (particularly the pointing bits) is because the Joy-Cons are simply not as precise as the Wii Motion+ remote was. I adored the motion controls in Galaxy and Galaxy 2, I thought they made the game more immersive and more interesting, and I suspect I would still feel that way playing on a Wii with a Wiimote. But having played some of Galaxy again on 3D All-Stars, yes, they don't work as well on Switch.
10 years ago, Mario Maker made history. Now, you can't play it.
My Wii U is still connected to a tv in mg bedroom, mostly for Wii Fit U or to play Wii games (ie Super Paper Mario and it’s super-underrated story), and if I ever go back to Star Fox Zero.
But if I wanted to play SMM, I’d def play SMM2 on Switch whether or not the online service was still active, so your general point stands.
Waiting a year to play Hades 2 was absolutely the right call
What are you whining about? Are you upset because he didn't describe what was different between Early Access and 1.0? Because he absolutely did do that. The second and third paragraphs are all about that. Who cares if he didn't describe what changed between the very last day of Early Access and the first day of 1.0? That seems a ridiculous thing to carp about, very petty, with desperation to be upset about something.
If you're upset that the tone of the piece is different from the review that was posted the day before this piece, THAT'S BECAUSE THE AUTHORS ARE DIFFERENT.
I can't think of any other possible point you could be trying to make, but these two are both pretty dumb.
Hades 2 overcomplicates a perfect formula
Not only that, but shaking the martini rather than stirring it waters it down by crushing the ice more, so he actually drinks a weak non-original martini.
The best Zelda story is hidden in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
I should really go back to this game. I played the hell out of the original HW, and was def enjoying this story more. I wonder how much better it runs on Switch 2…
'I feel his game may not do as good as he hopes': Revisiting Hollow Knight skeptics on Silksong's release is a wild ride
In 1998 (I think), Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine called Super Metroid the greatest video game ever made. You should play it.
You’re correct that the genre is not for everyone, like every genre of everything. With this comment, you are simply being a contrarian. Which is fine I guess. But if you do try Silksong, try to not go into it assuming you won’t like it, cause those thoughts will likely be self-fulfilling.
14 games that should be 2025 Game of the Year contenders
Actually last year's GOtY was Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth.
See what I did there?
The gaming industry deserved more lead time before Silksong
AtomicWrangler I agre with OP but your point is misguided. The reason those games would benefit from a more open release schedule and a less distracted press is because we’ve never heard of them. And if the press didn’t have to dedicate so much time and column space to covering Silksong, maybe we would learn a lot more about these games and maybe you would end up clamoring for them.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land gets the sendoff it deserves in huge Switch 2 DLC
The basic premise of this review is deceptively deep. I never got the meta-nature of how Kirby’s games absolutely transform from one to the next moreso than Nintendo’s other flagship franchises, much like their star itself. But I knew it to be true instinctively, as I believe very strongly that Kirby Canvas Curse is the NDS’s absolute best game, and Mass Attack is easily in the top 10 for that console. The 3DS one with the robots is fantastic too, and I loved Forgotten Land. I enjoyed all of those games more than any of the straightforward 2D Kirby games. Anyway, thanks for this review and the new bit of insight.